Monday, June 4, 2007

MacMurray Ranch Pinot Noir

Each time I've had lunch at Brodo, my favorite lunch place in Buffalo, I've enjoyed a glass of MacMurray Ranch Pinot Noir. This affordably priced wine is a pleasure to drink.

MacMurray Ranch is located in the heart of the Russian River Valley in Sonoma County, about 70 miles north of San Francisco. The Ranch takes its name from the late actor, Fred MacMurray, star of My Three Sons and Billy Wilder's classic film noir Double Indemnity. MacMurray owned the ranch for 50 years. After his death it was sold to E & J Gallo.

The freshly harvested grapes for the MacMurray Ranch Pinot Noir are cold soaked for several days before primary fermentation, giving it the deepest ruby color I have ever seen in a Pinot Noir. According to winemaker Susan Doyle, this process also results in an optimal extraction of flavor.

I don't know whether the dark color of the wine is fooling me into thinking this or not, but the MacMurray Pinot Noir seems to have a thicker consistency than other Pinot Noirs. Aromas of blackberries and raspberries can be detected in the wine, along with hints of vanilla from the oak aging.

This tasty wine comes in two primary varieties. One carries the 'Sonoma Coast' label and sells for about $20, and the other carries the 'Russian River Valley' label and sells for around $35. I highly recommend buying it.

No comments: