Saturday, March 31, 2007

Philosophy and Wine

At the 2007 Pacific Division Meeting of the American Philosophical Association, which I will be attending next week, there will be a mini-conference on Philosophy and Wine. Various philosophers will be speaking on the aesthetic, perceptual and even metaphysical properties of wine. Some non-philosophers will also be on the program, including enologist Ann C. Noble, author of the well-known Wine Aroma Wheel, and winemaker Randall Grahm from Bonny Doon Vineyards--makers of Critique of Pure Riesling. (You have to know your philosophy to appreciate the humor of that label.)

The mini-conference appears to be organized by philosopher Fritz Allhoff, editor of Wine & Philosophy: A Meritage of Vintage Ideas. In 2005 I drew up a book proposal entitled "Wine and Philosophy" and submitted it to Open Court's Popular Culture and Philosophy Series. I was told: (a) that Fritz Allhoff had beaten me to the punch and (b) that wine was too "high brow" for Open Court's series. That's why Fritz had to take his project to Blackwell.

Even though the program for the mini-conference sounds interesting, I will not be attending. Instead, I will be busy touring the wineries in Napa Valley and drinking lots of great wine before making my way to the APA meeting. I'll tell you all about my travels and tastings when I return.

No comments: