Sunday, March 18, 2007

Homemade Vanilla Extract

OK, this entry has nothing to do with either wine or cheese, but I'm going to post it anyway. I'm making my second batch of homemade vanilla extract with a 375ml bottle of Buffalo Trace Bourbon and four vanilla beans. The vanilla beans will steep in the bourbon for about six months.

I got the idea from John Folse, who in 1988 was declared by the Louisiana Legislature to be "Louisiana's Culinary Ambassador to the World."

The whiskey I used for the last batch I made was Jack Daniel's. The aroma was so rich and enchanting that I asked my wife to stop cooking with it so that I could enjoy the rest of the bottle for aperitifs. However, the flavor didn't match up to the aroma, and I have now given it back to her for baking.

I hope that by using a superior spirit the end result will be better. Few people realize that the Buffalo Trace Distillery makes almost all of the world's greatest bourbons, including Blanton's, Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare, Elmer T. Lee, George T. Stagg, Pappy van Winkle, and W. L. Weller. I'm also using more vanilla beans than before. I'll let you know how it turns out.

No comments: