Monday, April 16, 2007

Purple Haze

Purple Haze is a goat's milk cheese from Cypress Grove Chèvre that is simply fabulous. It is a fresh (i.e., non-ripened) cheese flavored with lavender buds and wild harvested fennel pollen. It is like nothing I have ever tasted.

This cheese has a light, lemony, refreshing floral flavor. It is quite soft and can be spread on just about anything. I have never enjoyed a goat cheese as much as I enjoyed this one, nor have I eaten 5 oz. of chèvre as quickly. Try it and you will see why.

Purple Haze comes in a 5 oz. three-inch round that is available in cheese shops all around the country. In western NY, it can be found at Premier Gourmet, the Lexington Co-Op, and Wegman's.

Fresh goat cheese should be kept as cold as possible without freezing (33°–35°F). But be sure to warm it up to room temperature before serving. Scuze me while I enjoy more of this chèvre.

No comments: